Do Dentists or Orthodontists Fix Cavities?

When it comes to dental care, only a dentist can help with tooth decay, gum disease, and more, while an orthodontist is the one to turn to for straightening teeth. Dentistry focuses on comprehensive dental care and deals primarily with the teeth, gums, nerves, and jaw. They offer services related to tooth decay, root canals, gum disease, crowns, bridges, veneers, and teeth whitening. On the other hand, orthodontists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of tooth and jaw misalignments. Dentists are responsible for diagnosing, treating, and managing overall oral health care by performing routine dental work such as checkups, cleanings, and x-rays.

They also extract or repair problem teeth, fill cavities, and make models for dentures. If a tooth decay is small and in a difficult area, you'll have to wait until you take off your braces to get tooth decay treatment. However, if the tooth decay is severe and prevents dental work, the orthodontist will dispose of the support. Dentists examine the inside of your mouth for signs of oral diseases and give advice on how to maintain your oral health. They also improve the function and appearance of teeth by applying adhesives, veneers, or crowns to broken, chipped, misshapen, or severely decayed teeth.

If your dentist detects a problem for which he is not qualified, he will refer you to a dentist or doctor as appropriate. After finishing their dental studies and taking the certification exam, orthodontists attend an orthodontic residency program for two or three more years to obtain a specialized certification in orthodontics. Orthodontists use x-rays and photographs of the teeth to create individualized treatment plans for specific problems related to the alignment of the teeth, bite or jaw. So if you need dental treatment should you call an orthodontist or a dentist? If you have a toothache or suspect you may have a cavity see your general dentist for a diagnosis. And if you ever need treatment for a crooked denture or a problem affecting the bite your dentist will refer you to an orthodontist. Board-certified dentists can diagnose and treat oral health conditions of the teeth, gums, tongue and mouth. If you wear braces to straighten your teeth or correct another dental problem your orthodontist may place molar bands on your back teeth. In conclusion, only a dentist can help with cavities while an orthodontist specializes in correcting misalignments of the teeth.

Dentists usually go to college to earn a preodontology or premedical degree before going to graduate school in dentistry while orthodontists receive additional training after graduating from dental school.

Alexa Bouchard
Alexa Bouchard

Incurable tvaholic. Certified music trailblazer. Unapologetic internet evangelist. Total coffee trailblazer. Passionate coffee maven.

Leave a Comment

All fileds with * are required